Friday, September 09, 2005

Long List and Short Talk

I went to my clinic appointment at PMH yesterday afternoon. The first thing I did was to go to the 2nd floor and the receptionist told me to go to 1st floor for blood collection. Hmmm, I did not know about this. I really thought this appointment would only be a short talk with the transplant doctor about the tests they did to my sister and what they found and concluded. You probably know how much I hate needles. Hate, that is very harsh word to use. Let's just say I don't like... at least I used a positive verb.

Anyway, let's go back to the Blood Clinic and guess what? My disappointment turned to happiness when I saw Debbie. Debbie had took blood from me before using needle (not from hickman line). To tell you honestly, she was really good. I almost :) did not feel when she poked me. She also remembered I was very frightened. I used to go to Transfusion Unit on 2nd floor to draw blood since I have my hickman line.

FACTS: Hickman line is one type of 'long line' or 'central line'. A central venous catheter (CVC) is an intravenous line that is inserted into one of the major veins in the chest, with the tip lying in the superior vena cava (the main vein which drains directly into the right side of the heart). The end of a Hickman line hangs out of the chest with two lumens (tubes) and is usually sealed off with a cap.

After I had an infection end of July, my Hickman line was taken out. They used to draw blood from it so no poking needed. But now, I have no choice, they will have to poke me to draw some blood. Every appointment, two tubes of blood was taken from me. I was stunned when Debbie printed out the labels for the tubes that day. Not two, not three but more than ten tubes of blood were taken from me.

Then I waited for my transplant doctor and he had a short talk with me and Jerson. He just want to make sure that I am aware of added risks because of my sister's condition. He also said that this risk is small compared to the risk if bone marrow transplant will not be done.

REFLECTIONS: It's so hard not to worry in my case, knowing that there are potential complications that may occur after the transplant. But this is not what I am worried about, I am worried about Jerson and my only son, Jensine. I've learned to trust and fully give my life to Him. I should also learn and accept that He will always be with my love ones, especially, Jerson and Jensine, no matter what...

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)


Oh yeah! about my foot pain, the doctor said not to worry about it...although I will feel pain for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home