Friday, September 02, 2005

Fearing the Unknown

Part of the pre-Bone Marrow Transplant test is the Lumbar Puncture. I never had this before. Doctors and nurses told me this is a lot better than the Bone Marrow Test. My doctor who did the procedure told me, "If you had Bone Marrow Test before, this is just a walk in the park for you. But it's normal to fear the unknown".

Jensine was only 1 year old when he had this procedure, nothing abnormal was found. (He's fine now.) We were told before that this was a dangerous procedure, but it has to be done. Mine was done yesterday.

FACTS: Lumbar Puncture is a prcedure in which a small amount of spinal fluid is removed from the spinal canal. Also called a spinal tap. Patients are usually required to lay for three to four hours after the procedure to prevent headaches. In spite of this precaution headaches, sometimes lasting days, may occur. (PMH)

Procedure dealing with the spine sounds really dangerous to me. But the doctor said the only danger is infecction from the insertion of needle from the skin to spine that's why they clean the area very well.

I still have to watch some strange reaction like headaches that won't go away for days, and signs of infection like fever, redness around the area and being confuse. And have them called right away. In case it happens at night, I have to go to the emergency.

Eighteen hours had passed, and the only thing I felt was a slight headache and pain on my back. So hopefully, that's it, no headache or infection...

REFLECTIONS: Before I was diagnosed I was very scared of needle and I still am. I don't know how many times I was poked and for others who can figure out, I shouldn't be scared anymore. I've said this before for a laugh, "I am scared of needle than to die". Haa! Ha! Ha! It's funny because I am ready to face what my future holds but needles scare me. When the needle is in place, then I am fine. I think it's just normal to be scared sometimes, to anticipate bodily pain for we're only humans. Is it normal or it's just me?

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Isaiah 41:10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home