Wednesday, August 24, 2005

There is Part 2?!

Wednesday morning was my clinic appointment at PMH for blood test and to see my hematology-oncology doctor. Even before-hand, I knew that a bone marrow test will be done. This has to be done to check the status of my disease and also this will be the start of my pre-test for my Bone Marrow Transplant. The bone marrow test consist of Bone Marrow Aspirate...

FACT: Bone Marrow Aspirate is a procedure in which a small amount of bone marrow is removed from the pelvic bone or breastbone to test the status of the patient's disease. (PMH)

Mine was done on the hipbone, this is where my doctor usually takes it. This will be the third time it will be done to me. First, when I was diagnosed and then after I finish my Induction Chemotherapy. What I did not know was the bone marrow test has a "part 2", a Bone Marrow Biopsy...

FACT: Bone Marrow Biopsy is a procedure in which a small piece of bone is removed from the patient's hipbone, to test the status of the patient's disease. If necessary, this procedure is usually done at the same time as a bone marrow aspirate. (PMH)

Yes, a small piece of bone was removed. Although this was the third time doing it I certainly don't remember which one was done to me before. Was it the aspirate or the biopsy or both? Nevertheless, this is the procedure that will tell me if I am still in remission, I will find out in three weeks. But if there is a problem I will hear from my doctor before that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home