Thursday, September 22, 2005

Complications { Day -7 }

Potential complications were explained before I even decided to do the transplant. Today, I just want to share with you the complications from the conditioning regimen or before the actual transplant. Some complications are a result of the toxicity of the conditioning regimen, chemotherapy and radiation. These complications may or may not occur to all patients.

  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • loss of appetite
  • dairrhea
  • fatigue
  • hair loss
  • risk of infections
  • bleeding
  • infertility
  • Veno-occlusive disease (VOD)

FACTS: Veno-occlusive disease (VOD) is a disorder of the liver in which blood vessels become blocked and swollen (PMH)

  • Interstitial pneumonia

FACTS: Interstitial pneumonia is a form of pneumonia, found within the lung tissues. (PMH)

  • mucositis

FACTS: Mucositis is inflamation of the mucous membranes. Mouth sores often characterize this condition (PMH)

  • Post Radiation Caries

FACTS: Radiation can kill salivary glands, because of diminished salivary flow, the acid content of the mouth is increased. This along with a resuced fibre content in meals, and stagnation of food debris results in destruction by acid demineralization of dental hard tissue (enamel of teeth).

There are medications to help relieve discomfort of these side effects. Post Radiation Caries can be prevented by excellent oral hygiene and Flouride gel application. I just started my Flouride gel application.

As of now, I only felt tiredness or fatigue. I've been lying on bed mostly the whole day. I still been eating good and no vomiting, which are usual side effects I felt on my past chemotherapy treatment.

There will be additional side effects when bone marrow is transplanted. I will talk about that later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home