Thursday, December 01, 2005

CMV... { Day + 63 }

...or Cytomegalovirus. Every Tuesday, when blood is drawn from my line to test my CBC and Liver Functions, they also test if I am positive/negative for this virus. This is the reason why I keep waiting until afternoon at the hospital. Usually, the blood test was taken in the morning and the test result comes out at around 3 P.M. Last Tuesday, it actually came out at 4 o'clock! Yes, I was there in the hospital almost the whole day, every Tuesday. But it's worth waiting to know that I am still negative with this virus. Although, I was determined that I had CMV infection already, sometime in my life and my donor was positive with it, too. I heard that 85% - 90% of population were infected of this virus.

FACTS: Cytomegalovirus, or CMV, is found universally throughout all geographic locations and socioeconomic groups. Once a person becomes infected, the virus remains alive, but usually latent within that person's body for life. Recurrent disease rarely occurs unless the person's immune system is suppressed due to therapeutic drugs or disease. Therefore, for the vast majority of people, CMV infection is not a serious problem. (Wikipedia)

There is a high risk of infection for people who are transplant recipients like me! So it is very critical that I will be tested every week.

FACTS: Infection with CMV is a major cause of disease and death in immunocompromised patients, including organ transplant recipients, patients undergoing hemodialysis, patients with cancer, patients receiving immunosuppressive drugs, and HIV-infected patients. (Wikipedia)

For my other test results, my CBC and Liver Functions were okay! Although, my blood pressure did not go down from last week, the doctors still decided not to give me medication for hypertension. But they did lower the dosage of my Prednisone (steroid) to 20 mg. About my weight...he!he!he!...we can skip this one...he!he!he!...I am still gaining weight by the kilos/week not pounds :( But overall, I feel I am getting better each day... Thanks be to God!

REFLECTIONS:

"I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you."
3 John 2, NIV

Complete Blood Count
HGB – 113 (normal range = 120 to 160)
PLT – 166
WBC - 11.5
Neut - 9.9 (normal range = 2.0 to 8.0)
Mg - 0.88
Creat - 97

Liver Functions
ALB - Not Available
ALT - 29
ALP - 56
AST - 23
TBili - 9

Legend:
Green: Normal
Yellow: Abnormal
Red: Critical

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home