Monday, August 22, 2005

Volunteering

The phone rang, it was Greg, a volunteer driver, he was telling me the time he will pick me up for my Wednesday appointment...

After I got out of hospital, that was not the end of it in my case. I have had clinic appointments and check-ups, upto now. Going back and forth in downtown Toronto with my health condition is a no, no. Neither driving nor using public transportation is a good idea. I have friends and families who are willing to drive me when I have appointments like Karly, Inna, Alexei, Kuya Earl, Neil & May. After a while, I made use of the services of Canadian Cancer Society.

FACT: Canadian Cancer Society offers free transportation for people who needs help in getting to their cancer-related care. Please visit their site or call toll-free 1-888-939-3333 if this service is available in your area.

With the help of volunteer drivers, CCS can provide me a ride to and from PMH and back to my house. Isn't it great?! Most of the volunteer drivers are seniors. I was able to ask them the reason why they decided to volunteer. Reasons they gave like (1) they are retired and need something to do, (2) they have friends or relatives who were in need of same service, (3) they just feel like helping.

REFLECTIONS: When I came to Canada, I always thought volunteering is only for personal gain; to get Canadian experience. Didn't I realize that volunteering is an exceptional act of kindness that you can give back to your community, and to God. Would you render a service to someone in need, even you know that that someone cannot give you back anything in return? Would you volunteer?


In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'
Acts 20:35

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home